Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Golden Rock Song of the Day - 7/13/2007

I came across today's Song of the Day by pure coincidence. I was doing a bit of shopping in a mall in Hong Kong's Wanchai district that was famous for cheap CDs and DVDs, and I walked into a very narrow second-hand CD/DVD shop not unlike its counterparts in Mongkok. What was strange was that the storeowner was playing this song on repeat. I had thought he was trying out the CD or using it as some kind of audio reference material. Either way, I kind of liked the song anyway, so I thought nothing of it. However, I went back again on another day, and the owner is yet again playing this song, which either gives me the impression that he must play it whenever he's in the shop, or he just happened to played the song again at that exact moment. I'll find out in about a month when I return to the shop.

From the soundtrack for the musical Chess, it's Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok."



Can anyone confirm that this song is, or was at one time, banned by the Thai government?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no information on the song being banned, but according to murrayhead.com, a fansite, Murray Head is banned from Thailand.

GoldenRockProductions said...

Thanks for the info. I suppose it's more effective to just ban the artist rather than the song.