Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Golden Rock song of the day - 4/14/07

Today's song of the day can be found on this album and this single. However, neither studio versions can compare to this version, which plays it at a considerably slower pace more suitable for the melody (at least in my opinion). It's Shiina Ringo's Sakuran.

Why? This cover is my favorite arrangement out of the 3 versions I've heard because it plays to the melody the most. It's not meant to be fitted with a fast-paced big band symphonic arrangement, but rather with this type of sublime bossa nova beats. This, to me, is the definitive version of Sakuran, too bad it's never going to be released as a studio recording.

3 comments:

YTSL said...

Hmmm...looks like an earlier attempt to post the following comments fell through. So here's repeating them here:-

At a concert in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, a couple or so years ago, Faye Wong gave an absolutely fantastic rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

Does anyone know whether she's got this song on one of her albums? If so, would be obliged to be pointed to it!

GoldenRockProductions said...

Hi, YTSL,

Your comment is on the previous song of the day entry, I also responded to it there.

I looked through all the albums and DVDs they have on Yesasia, it seems like they never recorded a version of this cover. I would've loved to hear it though.

YTSL said...

Hi goldenrockproductions --

Oops, and please feel free to delete my comments here then! ;(