Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Golden Rock song of the day - 3/16/07

Today's song of the day can only be found on Youtube. That's because I bought a second-hand copy of the album that had the original, but the version on the album sounded nothing like the initial version I heard (good thing it was only 462 yen). So today's song of the day is the version I like best of Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Bibo no Aozora (The Beautiful Blue Sky).

Why? Because it's the most minimal-arranged version of this song, and yet it's the most powerful. I'm literally still haunted by this song since I heard it last summer and it prompted me to buy two different CDs for it (the aforementioned Ryuichi Sakamoto CD, which took me to 4 different record shops in Tokyo before I found it in Shimo-Kitazawa, and the Babel soundtrack). But this is still the best version out there.



Here's what the album version sounds like (I do believe this is the original version, yikes):



And this is the version from the Babel soundtrack (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT, this IS, after all, the final scene of the movie):

No comments: